Support for the Caregiver
Please check with each agency as many caregiver meetings are held online.
Together We Care
Virtual caregiver support group meetings through Northland Shepherd's Center and Tri-County Mental Health Services are held bi-monthly on these dates at 1:00 pm: June 23, July 7, July 21, August 4, August 18, September 1, September 15.
Contact Dianna Englander, Coordinator: (816) 452-4536 or Becky Franklin, 816-678-3036.
Grandparent and Relative Caregiver support group
The Northland Grandfamilies program offers information and referrals to kinship families. The program is offering weekly zoom meetings and newsletters.
The Facebook Page (https://www.facebook.com/northlandgrandfamilies/) is updated on a regular basis.
Virtual office hours are Thursdays at 10:00 am.
Contact Joedi Forquer, Grandfamilies Coordinator, 816-407-3490; email: email@example.com.
Liberty Hospital monthly support groups - Please check for current meeting status. www.libertyhospital.org
- NEW - Cancer Support Group - 3rd Tuesdays, 6:00 pm. 816-531-5444.
- Alzheimer's Caregiver Support group - meets monthly on Thursdays at 7:00 pm. 816-407-2100
- Living after Loss peer support group - 3rd Thursdays at 11:00 am or 5:30 pm; 816-407-2200
- Huntington's Disease support group - 2nd Mondays at 7:00 pm. Call Rosalie Hamilton at 816-935-4267.
- Stroke Support Group - 4th Tuesdays at 1:30 pm. 816-792-7268
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, all support groups will be hosted via phone or video conference instead of in-person. Meeting schedules will be assessed on a month-to-month basis. Please locate your local program in the Community Resource Finder or contact our 24/7 Helpline (800.272.3900) for details.
A new Caregiver Book Club via Zoom starts July 29, 2020, 6:00 to 7:00 pm. https://www.alz.org/events
RDAD-KC Program: Working to make the KC metro area more dementia capable! This unique program works with caregivers of individuals who have moderate to severe dementia, and/or intellectual/developmental disabilities who are at risk for dementia. Through weekly in-home sessions, this program incorporates physical activity, along with developing personalized care strategies to help manage caregiving challenges, reduce stress and promote independence for the individual with dementia.
To learn more, call Dr. Eric Vidoni at (913) 588-5312 and mention “RDAD-KC”.
See flyer for additional details: RDAD-KC.
Alzheimer's & dementia support group
A supportive and educational gathering for families and friends meets 1st Thursday of each month at 6 pm at Addington Place, 9601 N Tullis Dr, KC MO 64157. RSVP: (816) 407-9667
- Norterre Aurora Health & Wellness Center in Liberty - group meets 4th Thursdays at 10:00 am. RSVP at 816-479-4793.
- Wexford Place, 6460 N Cosby Ave., - group meets 2nd Thursdays from 3:30 to 4:30 pm. Call 816-587-5400.
- Smithville library group, 120 Richardson, meets 4th Mondays at 10:00 am. Call 816-891-1720.
- For other groups in Missouri or Kansas, contact Kim at 913-341-8828 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
More helpful resources for caregivers:
I will fearlessly develop a personal support system of friends and family and remember that others also love my loved one and are willing to help if I let them know what they can do to support my caregiving. (from The Caregiver Manifesto by Gary Barg)