Support for the Caregiver
Together We Care
Through Northland Shepherd's Center: Meets quarterly. 2018 meeting dates are 3/21/18, 6/20/18, 9/19/18, 12/19/18 from 11:30 am til 1 pm. Contact Dianna Englander, Coordinator: (816) 452-4536.
Grandparent and Relative Caregiver support group
Through a grant from CCSS in cooperation with Clay County University of Missouri Extension Council, two daytime support groups and one evening support group are offered. Contact the GrandFamilies Program at (816) 407-3490.
Download the flyer: GrandFamiles support groups.
- 2nd Wednesday of every month, 10 am til noon at North Cross United Methodist Church, 1321 NE Vivion Road, KC, MO 64118.
- 3rd Thursday of every month, 10 til 11:30 am at Good Samaritan Center, 108 S. Thompson in Excelsior Springs, MO.
- 4th Wednesday, 6 til 8:00 pm at Platte Woods United Methodist Church.
Liberty Hospital monthly support groups - www.libertyhospital.org
- NEW - Cancer Support Group - 3rd Tuesdays, 6:00 pm. 816-531-5444.
- Alzheimer's Caregiver Support group - meets monthly on Thursdays at 7:00 pm. 816-407-2100
- Living after Loss peer support group - 3rd Thursdays at 11:00 am or 5:30 pm; 816-407-2200
- Huntington's Disease support group - 2nd Mondays at 7:00 pm. Call Rosalie Hamilton at 816-935-4267.
- Stroke Support Group - 4th Tuesdays at 1:30 pm. 816-792-7268
For more information, Call Karen Clond, LMSW, at (913) 831-3888.
RDAD-KC Program: Working to make the KC metro area more dementia capable! This unique program works with caregivers of individuals who have moderate to severe dementia and/or intellectual/developmental disabled individuals who are at risk for dementia. The program provides caregivers coaching sessions and exercise education. The SC-Central’s professionals will train the caregiver and the participant to increase pleasant activities, and improve their communication as well as problem-solving skills. The program has 12 modules worth of activities but the program is flexible to fit each group’s individual schedule needs. Call Katrina Fox for more information: 816 444-1121 or firstname.lastname@example.org
See the complete flyer: RDAD-KC
Alzheimer's & dementia support group
A supportive and educational gathering for families and friends meets 1st Thursday of each month at 6 pm at Addington Place, 9601 N Tullis Dr, KC MO 64157. RSVP: (816) 407-9667
- Norterre Aurora Health & Wellness Center in Liberty - group meets 4th Thursdays at 10:00 am. RSVP at 816-479-4793.
- Wexford Place, 6460 N Cosby Ave., - group meets 2nd Thursdays from 3:30 to 4:30 pm. Call 816-587-5400.
- Smithville library group, 120 Richardson, meets 4th Mondays at 10:00 am. Call 816-891-1720.
- For other groups in Missouri or Kansas, contact Kim at 913-341-8828 or email@example.com.
More helpful resources for caregivers:
"I will fearlessly develop a personal support system of friends and family and remember that others also love my loved one and are willing to help if I let them know what they can do to support my caregiving." (from The Caregiver Manifesto by Gary Barg)