Support groups for caregivers and others
Please check with each agency as many meetings are held online.
Grandfamilies Monthly Support Groups
Monthly support groups will be an opportunity to gather with others who are currently in a kinship role, caring for a younger family member in some capacity. We will feature a variety of speakers in order to provide community resources, coping tips, and guidance on planning for the future. Contact Becky Franklin: 816-468-0400 x 330 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
June meetings at various locations; see the flyer: June 2021 GF.
Together We Care
For information on these activities, contact Coordinators: Dianna Englander, (816) 452-4536 or Becky Franklin, 816-678-3036.
Virtual caregiver support group meetings through Northland Shepherd's Center and Tri-County Mental Health Services are held every other week on Tuesdays from 10:30 am til noon in 2021.
NEW! Caring Cafe - the place seniors go to have fun! lunch and activities on 3rd Friday: July 16, August 20, 2- 4 pm.
Liberty Hospital monthly support groups - Please check for current meeting status. www.libertyhospital.org
- NEW - Cancer Support Group - 3rd Tuesdays, 6:00 pm. 816-531-5444.
- Alzheimer's Caregiver Support group - meets monthly on Thursdays at 7:00 pm. 816-407-2100
- Living after Loss peer support group - 3rd Thursdays at 11:00 am or 5:30 pm; 816-407-2200
- Huntington's Disease support group - 2nd Mondays at 7:00 pm. Call Rosalie Hamilton at 816-935-4267.
- Stroke Support Group - 4th Tuesdays at 1:30 pm. 816-792-7268
Rice University Project Care
We are seeking volunteers who are currently dementia family caregivers for an important research study on emotions and caregivers' health. If you are interested or would like more information: BMED Lab: 832-819-4297; careduringCOVID@rice.edu.
See details in the flyer: Project Care
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, all support groups will be hosted via phone or video conference instead of in-person. Meeting schedules will be assessed on a month-to-month basis. Please locate your local program in the Community Resource Finder or contact our 24/7 Helpline (800.272.3900) for details.
Storybank: This provides an opportunity for caregivers (present and past), individuals with dementia, professionals or anyone with a connection to this disease to share their story. If you are comfortable with sharing your experiences, you can fill out the Storybank form using the link below with your information and connection to Alzheimer’s and other dementia and we may contact you with opportunities to share your story (on our blog, social media, local newspapers and news stations, etc.). The more we share our experiences, the more likely we are to: Let others impacted know they are not alone, challenge the stigma associated with dementia, and raise community awareness.
Storybank Link: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1yoZv_HCdAOwmf2qkqYgGcXKI5T92lzNIYxmeBM5xEwQ/edit
Alzheimer's & dementia support group
A supportive and educational gathering for families and friends meets 1st Thursday of each month at 6 pm at Addington Place, 9601 N Tullis Dr, KC MO 64157. RSVP: (816) 407-9667
- Norterre Aurora Health & Wellness Center in Liberty - group meets 4th Thursdays at 10:00 am. RSVP at 816-479-4793.
- Wexford Place, 6460 N Cosby Ave., - group meets 2nd Thursdays from 3:30 to 4:30 pm. Call 816-587-5400.
- Smithville library group, 120 Richardson, meets 4th Mondays at 10:00 am. Call 816-891-1720.
- For other groups in Missouri or Kansas, contact Kim at 913-341-8828 or email@example.com.
More helpful resources for caregivers:
I will fearlessly develop a personal support system of friends and family and remember that others also love my loved one and are willing to help if I let them know what they can do to support my caregiving. (from The Caregiver Manifesto by Gary Barg)