Support for the Caregiver
Please check with each agency as many caregiver meetings are held online.
Together We Care
Virtual caregiver support group meetings through Northland Shepherd's Center and Tri-County Mental Health Services are held every other week on Tuesdays from 10:30 am til noon in 2021.
NEW! Caregiver Book Club - This group will meet January to March to break up winter months with reading, discussion, and fellowship.
Virtual 1-time classes are also offered virtually from time to time.
For information on any of these activities, contact Coordinators: Dianna Englander, (816) 452-4536 or Becky Franklin, 816-678-3036.
Liberty Hospital monthly support groups - Please check for current meeting status. www.libertyhospital.org
- NEW - Cancer Support Group - 3rd Tuesdays, 6:00 pm. 816-531-5444.
- Alzheimer's Caregiver Support group - meets monthly on Thursdays at 7:00 pm. 816-407-2100
- Living after Loss peer support group - 3rd Thursdays at 11:00 am or 5:30 pm; 816-407-2200
- Huntington's Disease support group - 2nd Mondays at 7:00 pm. Call Rosalie Hamilton at 816-935-4267.
- Stroke Support Group - 4th Tuesdays at 1:30 pm. 816-792-7268
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, all support groups will be hosted via phone or video conference instead of in-person. Meeting schedules will be assessed on a month-to-month basis. Please locate your local program in the Community Resource Finder or contact our 24/7 Helpline (800.272.3900) for details.
Storybank: This provides an opportunity for caregivers (present and past), individuals with dementia, professionals or anyone with a connection to this disease to share their story. If you are comfortable with sharing your experiences, you can fill out the Storybank form using the link below with your information and connection to Alzheimer’s and other dementia and we may contact you with opportunities to share your story (on our blog, social media, local newspapers and news stations, etc.). The more we share our experiences, the more likely we are to: Let others impacted know they are not alone, challenge the stigma associated with dementia, and raise community awareness.
Storybank Link: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1yoZv_HCdAOwmf2qkqYgGcXKI5T92lzNIYxmeBM5xEwQ/edit
Alzheimer's & dementia support group
A supportive and educational gathering for families and friends meets 1st Thursday of each month at 6 pm at Addington Place, 9601 N Tullis Dr, KC MO 64157. RSVP: (816) 407-9667
- Norterre Aurora Health & Wellness Center in Liberty - group meets 4th Thursdays at 10:00 am. RSVP at 816-479-4793.
- Wexford Place, 6460 N Cosby Ave., - group meets 2nd Thursdays from 3:30 to 4:30 pm. Call 816-587-5400.
- Smithville library group, 120 Richardson, meets 4th Mondays at 10:00 am. Call 816-891-1720.
- For other groups in Missouri or Kansas, contact Kim at 913-341-8828 or email@example.com.
More helpful resources for caregivers:
I will fearlessly develop a personal support system of friends and family and remember that others also love my loved one and are willing to help if I let them know what they can do to support my caregiving. (from The Caregiver Manifesto by Gary Barg)