Support for the Caregiver
Together We Care
Quarterly support group meetings through Northland Shepherd's Center and Tri-County Mental Health Services:
Contact Dianna Englander, Coordinator: (816) 452-4536.
December 18, 11:30 - 1:00 at Northland Shepherd's Center: Bonnie Smith from Benton House will speak on "How to know when it's time to consider assisted living or memory care." Lunch will be served. Register by calling 816-452-4536.
Monthly Caregiver Support Groups:
2nd Wednesdays at Woodneath branch of Mid-Continent Public Library, 8900 NE Flintlock Road, KC MO; 9:30 til 11:00 am.
3rd Thursdays at Excelsior Springs Community Center, 500 Tiger Drive, 1 til 2:00 pm.
Contact Becky Franklin, 816-678-3036.
Grandparent and Relative Caregiver support group
Through a grant from CCSS in cooperation with Clay County University of Missouri Extension Council, two daytime support groups and one evening support group are offered. Contact the GrandFamilies Program at (816) 407-3490.
Download the flyer: GrandFamiles support groups.
2nd Wednesday of every month, 10 am til noon at North Cross United Methodist Church, 1321 NE Vivion Road, KC, MO 64118.
3rd Thursday of every month, 10 til 11:30 am at Good Samaritan Center, 108 S. Thompson in Excelsior Springs, MO.
4th Wednesday, 6 til 8:00 pm at Platte Woods United Methodist Church.
Liberty Hospital monthly support groups - www.libertyhospital.org
- NEW - Cancer Support Group - 3rd Tuesdays, 6:00 pm. 816-531-5444.
- Alzheimer's Caregiver Support group - meets monthly on Thursdays at 7:00 pm. 816-407-2100
- Living after Loss peer support group - 3rd Thursdays at 11:00 am or 5:30 pm; 816-407-2200
- Huntington's Disease support group - 2nd Mondays at 7:00 pm. Call Rosalie Hamilton at 816-935-4267.
- Stroke Support Group - 4th Tuesdays at 1:30 pm. 816-792-7268
For more information, Call Karen Clond, LMSW, at (913) 831-3888.
RDAD-KC Program: Working to make the KC metro area more dementia capable! This unique program works with caregivers of individuals who have moderate to severe dementia, and/or intellectual/developmental disabilities who are at risk for dementia. Through weekly in-home sessions, this program incorporates physical activity, along with developing personalized care strategies to help manage caregiving challenges, reduce stress and promote independence for the individual with dementia.
To learn more, call Dr. Eric Vidoni at (913) 588-5312 and mention “RDAD-KC”.
See flyer for additional details: RDAD-KC.
Alzheimer's & dementia support group
A supportive and educational gathering for families and friends meets 1st Thursday of each month at 6 pm at Addington Place, 9601 N Tullis Dr, KC MO 64157. RSVP: (816) 407-9667
- Norterre Aurora Health & Wellness Center in Liberty - group meets 4th Thursdays at 10:00 am. RSVP at 816-479-4793.
- Wexford Place, 6460 N Cosby Ave., - group meets 2nd Thursdays from 3:30 to 4:30 pm. Call 816-587-5400.
- Smithville library group, 120 Richardson, meets 4th Mondays at 10:00 am. Call 816-891-1720.
- For other groups in Missouri or Kansas, contact Kim at 913-341-8828 or email@example.com.
More helpful resources for caregivers:
I will fearlessly develop a personal support system of friends and family and remember that others also love my loved one and are willing to help if I let them know what they can do to support my caregiving. (from The Caregiver Manifesto by Gary Barg)