Support for the Caregiver
Please check with each agency as many caregiver meetings are held online.
Together We Care
Quarterly support group meetings through Northland Shepherd's Center and Tri-County Mental Health Services:
Contact Dianna Englander, Coordinator: (816) 452-4536.
Check back for updates on meetings.
June 17, 2020: Terry Downing, Missouri Hospice & Palliative Care, will help us learn about hospice and palliative care.
Monthly Caregiver Support Groups
Contact Becky Franklin, 816-678-3036.
Grandparent and Relative Caregiver support group
Through a grant from CCSS in cooperation with Clay County University of Missouri Extension Council, two daytime support groups and one evening support group are offered. Contact the GrandFamilies Program at (816) 407-3490.
Download the flyer: GrandFamiles support groups.
As of May 2020, online Zoom meetings Mondays at 3pm and Thursdays at 10am through June.
Contact Joedi Forquer, University of Missouri Extension, 816-407-3490.
Liberty Hospital monthly support groups - www.libertyhospital.org
- NEW - Cancer Support Group - 3rd Tuesdays, 6:00 pm. 816-531-5444.
- Alzheimer's Caregiver Support group - meets monthly on Thursdays at 7:00 pm. 816-407-2100
- Living after Loss peer support group - 3rd Thursdays at 11:00 am or 5:30 pm; 816-407-2200
- Huntington's Disease support group - 2nd Mondays at 7:00 pm. Call Rosalie Hamilton at 816-935-4267.
- Stroke Support Group - 4th Tuesdays at 1:30 pm. 816-792-7268
For more information, Call Karen Clond, LMSW, at (913) 831-3888.
RDAD-KC Program: Working to make the KC metro area more dementia capable! This unique program works with caregivers of individuals who have moderate to severe dementia, and/or intellectual/developmental disabilities who are at risk for dementia. Through weekly in-home sessions, this program incorporates physical activity, along with developing personalized care strategies to help manage caregiving challenges, reduce stress and promote independence for the individual with dementia.
To learn more, call Dr. Eric Vidoni at (913) 588-5312 and mention “RDAD-KC”.
See flyer for additional details: RDAD-KC.
Alzheimer's & dementia support group
A supportive and educational gathering for families and friends meets 1st Thursday of each month at 6 pm at Addington Place, 9601 N Tullis Dr, KC MO 64157. RSVP: (816) 407-9667
- Norterre Aurora Health & Wellness Center in Liberty - group meets 4th Thursdays at 10:00 am. RSVP at 816-479-4793.
- Wexford Place, 6460 N Cosby Ave., - group meets 2nd Thursdays from 3:30 to 4:30 pm. Call 816-587-5400.
- Smithville library group, 120 Richardson, meets 4th Mondays at 10:00 am. Call 816-891-1720.
- For other groups in Missouri or Kansas, contact Kim at 913-341-8828 or email@example.com.
More helpful resources for caregivers:
I will fearlessly develop a personal support system of friends and family and remember that others also love my loved one and are willing to help if I let them know what they can do to support my caregiving. (from The Caregiver Manifesto by Gary Barg)